As a journeyman guitarist, Harvey draws influences from the likes of Jimmie Reed, Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters and Lightning Hopkins and formed his first blues band at the age of 19 in London.
- He scored shows supporting Steve Marriott and toured Europe and the UK with Dino Baptiste.
- In 1998 Australia beckoned, and Harvey threw himself into its thriving blues scene.
- His impeccably tasteful and dynamic guitar-playing complemented acts like Big Kitty and the Scaredy Cats, Steppin’ Out and Mama Voodoo and an album co-written with Cath Butler which earned him two Chain Awards in 2010.
These days Harvey is lead guitarist with soul blues band The Bella Reunion, swamp blues gypsy band The Looking Glass Liars and sixties inspired band Madison Curve. Harvey has also played the role of Musical Director for some very successful stage productions, most recently, The Amy Winehouse Tribute.
Awards received over the past few years include:
- 2011 Best Song (Drinker’s Lament) Qld Blues Awards.
- 2011 Best Band (Blind Lemon) Qld Blues Awards.
- 2010 Best New Talent (with Cath Butler) Australian Blues Music Chain Awards.
- 2010 Top 5 Songwriter Queensland Songwriter.
- 2010 Highly Commended Australian Songwriter’s Association.
- 2009 BASEQ Performer of the Year, Winner Blues Association of South East Qld.